Huber Memorial Church is located outside of downtown Baltimore down the street from their existing historic building. Their new facility was designed to be a place for worship as well as a tool for the church to use to reach out to their community.
WFM Staff · October 9, 2017
Huber Memorial Church purchased an abandoned urban site down the street from their existing historic building and began planning their new facility in 2008.
The recession hit hard and resulted in an extended project timeline and a reduced construction budget. Throughout the changes, the church’s goal to reach its community was unwavering.
The new site is located outside of downtown Baltimore in a residential neighborhood. A multi-phase master plan was developed to accommodate the new budget and to allow the church to grown into their new facility.
Phase One is a 32,000sf facility that includes a media-oriented multi-purpose auditorium/gymnasium for 1000 worshippers, a large lobby, children’s and adult classrooms, a commercial kitchen, and administrative spaces. The plan of the building has the lobby located in a place that will be the center spine when the future phase is added.
This will allow construction on the future phase to occur with minimal disruption to weekly activities at the church. Phase Two includes a dedicated sanctuary seating 1500 and more classroom space.
The 10-acre site is heavily sloped which led to a terraced solution for 400 parking spaces with extensive bio-swales for storm water management to meet Maryland’s updated environmental regulations. The property is accessed from multiple directions, resulting in a design that is intended for viewing from all sides.
The building’s curved roof form represents the church’s desire to reach out to its community as found in their vision statement to “Rescue, Redeem, and Recreate.” The curved roof is also a harmonious reaction to the steep hill on which the building sits.