Due to continued growth, LA-based Oasis Church moved out of the old theater it had been using and purchased the 1926-era Wilshire Christian Church. The historic nature of the building provided the opportunity to restore an aging facility.
WFM Staff · August 1, 2014
Oasis Church is located near the Los Angeles Metro Station, in the highly diverse Mid-Wilshire/ Koreatown district — it’s the ideal site for the church’s mission of “breathing life onto dry bones” (Ezekiel 37:4-6).
Due to continued growth, the church moved out of an old theater it had been using and purchased the 1926-era Wilshire Christian Church on the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Normandie Avenue. The historic nature of the building provided the opportunity to restore an aging facility. The goal was to bring a vibrant congregation through its doors and bring worship and glory to God.
Preservation, repairs and upgrades had to be handled carefully in order to not preserve the character-defining materials that made the first church built on Wilshire a local landmark. This opportunity was the foundation for Oasis Church’s partnership with Visioneering Studios.
Visioneering Studios was asked to provide modern audio, visual and lighting capabilities, repair the HVAC system, remove some accessibility barriers, provide new restrooms (and remodel existing ones) and completely remodel the ground floor to accommodate the Children’s Ministry. There was a fine line to be walked when juxtaposing the edifice’s traditional characteristics with a contemporary worship space that would be “life-giving for all generations,” as church director Alex Moreno-Jones put it.
Renovation (Oasis Church)
Los Angeles, California
Project Size: 801-2000 seats
The new wood-plank resilient stage was constructed to fully integrate original pieces of the sanctuary, including the elevated platform on which a pipe organ once rested. A mesh grill of perforated metal surrounding the stage enabled the subwoofers to be tucked underneath. Custom millwork was used to match the original moldings of the preserved areas in the sanctuary to create a sense of continuity between the old and the new. Meanwhile, glass railings were installed along the balconies to complement the historic features of the church while meeting safety code requirements.